Friday, January 24, 2014

Downtown with Leslie

Last weekend, my mom and I went down to Philly to visit Leslie and we brought our friend Eileen with us.  It was a cold out, but not one-foot-of-snow-polar-vortex-cold.  Such a fun day: Eileen got a tour of the famous apartment, lunch at Marathon, a walk through center city, and (of course) some shopping:

That balcony used to be closed ...


Um, so I think the contents of my entire closet are these colors ...




Love the waves and the Greek key tiles.


huh, so apparently my lens is filthy?



Currently the lobby of the Ritz Carlton, formally Girard Bank. My mom got her first job here when she was 17--I'm pretty sure she translated French banking documents that came over the new "facsimile" machine in her department.  (Mom is thinking, "None of what you just said is correct.")

There's a really gorgeous bar in the lobby now.







I had never been in West Elm before--how cool is this coffee table? Leslie needs it.

A little sorry I didn't buy this ... holding out for a cheaper version at Home Goods ...

I assumed these were fake until I went up and touched them.

I think I want this coffee table ...

 ... although the other one is pretty cool ...
DiBruno Brothers at 17th and Chestnut ... reminded me a lot of Zabar's from You've Got Mail.  It's better that Ron wasn't there--his excitement might've killed him.

A haze of cheese.  Who doesn't want to get stuck in a haze of cheese?

The most gorgeous ballet pink, frilly leather jacket at Anthro ... talk about excitement nearly killing someone. And then I flipped over the price tag and I really did die a little.  omigod, so gorgeous.

Leslie, I'm coming back down there and we're going to Verde.  But maybe when the Polar Vortex is over?

5 comments:

Linda C said...

It wasn't a new fax machine but rather an old TELEX machine. I loved that someone in a foreign country would type a message and that message would appear letter by letter in our office. Since I could easily read French, they would have me translate all the French TELEXs. However, my main job was to tally all the transactions in our foreign banks and give that information to the foreign traders to buy and sell currency to cover the upcoming transactions. This was all done on paper! In retrospect, it seems odd that a 17 year-old was doing that job.

Linda C said...

Beautiful photos of our day. I love the fancy fire escape and the building facades. City Hall is impressive too.

Steph said...

Ha - Jeff and I were at the Ritz on Saturday! We should've met up for a drink!

Anonymous said...

I'm in LOVE with that chandelier.
- Tiff

Jo Harper said...

Steph, seriously you were at the Ritz the same day as us??? I wish we had bumped into each other! Also (Mom), I teach twenty year olds who are mostly done their BA degrees and there is no way I would trust them with anything that has to do with A) translating a foreign language or B) doing math that involves foreign currency. Nope. You were just a different breed of 17 year old ;)