Sunday, December 15, 2013

Snow days? Snow week.

Three snow days in one week? So weird for December.  February? Not so weird.  I would hate it so much more if it were the middle of the semester, but my exams came in right under the wire so I was all done by the time all the cancellations, make-ups, and what-not were posted.

Monday had been a really long day.  Ron and I both went to bed around 1 or 2am on Sunday and then got up four hours later--he had to run to the airport to fly to Tampa, and I had an hour's drive to get to my 9am final.


I didn't make it back to bed until 2am again Monday night, so I didn't feel guilty at all for sleeping in on Tuesday.  (Sometimes it's nice to get paid in time instead of money.)  The Fluffs were in no rush on Tuesday, that's for sure.


Fluff collar's coming back in all its glory ...

Old habits die hard, and Penny still begs to go out on the deck every morning.  She drives me crazy: From 9am until 2 or 3pm, she cries and cries and swirls in and out of my ankles begging to go out.  It's maddening.  I opened the door on Tuesday never thinking she would call my bluff. (The Fluff calls my bluff--HA!)

Pearl was content to look at first ...


If Penny's good at anything, it's shoving Pearl out of her way.

God forbid they share even when I open the door all the way.

Alright alright alright already: What's it gonna be? in or out? because I'm not gonna stand here like a moron on a 15 degree day with the door wide open.  Come on, Penny.

And there she goes ...



Penny finally came back in, and then promptly asked to go back out.  That was it, though. The house had finally become warm again, and I put my foot down.

Usually I'm a total sucker for the soft-blinky-face, but not this time.

On Wednesday morning, Pearl decided she'd had enough of Penny shoving her around and showing her up, so she shoved Penny out of the way and marched outside. Penny and I couldn't believe it.  Pearl's not one to sacrifice comfort for anything--we just stared in amazement.

First things first:

... weaving in and out of deck furniture to find ...

... a secret igloo that not even Penny had sat in the day before.  She lasted about 20 seconds. But THEN ...
... a leaf skittered and required immediate inspection.

Note that Penny is still unsure how she feels about staying in ...

Penny couldn't take it anymore and leapt out the door.  I guess she was tired of looking so lame next to her chubbier older sister.  Meanwhile I'm thinking, "Can we all stop hating ourselves and please just go inside???"
Oh wait, the world can't be at peace with itself until PENNY gets a turn in the secret igloo.  God FORBID only Pearl gets a turn.


Once the morning-on-the-deck stupidity was over, I grabbed my warmest sweater ...


... made the warmest meal I could (don't be fooled, I totally covered this in chocolate chips after I set the camera down) ...

... and while I really wanted to fill my snow day agenda with just this stuff ...

... I was forced to contend with this stuff.  The registrar lady is really scary if you don't get your grades in on time, so I spent a whole bunch of hours doing this stuff.  Boo.






It snowed for a third time today.  Ron made it back from Tampa yesterday without incident, and the tree we chopped down a week ago finally got some lights today. Ornaments tomorrow, I suppose.

Despite the weather, we drove over to Iron Hill for dinner.  While we were there, an enormous group of students were doing an Ugly Christmas Sweater Bar Crawl.  The place went from nearly silent to a deafening din in about 30 seconds.  I heard one of them say that most of them were walking tomorrow.  Made me feel old.


Is there anything better than a champagne cocktail? Of course not.

And when you've had enough of the cold and snow, there's always nap time.

No comments: