Wednesday, October 30, 2013

October's over?? How is that possible?

Two weeks ago, Ron had a random Monday off (before embarking on nearly three weeks of working nights) and I somehow persuaded him to come to Longwood with me.  October had been pretty warm up until that point, so it felt like fall but not really:

The fountains had been turned off, but not drained.

I think I really like them this way.





We love running into one of the many cats who roam around ... even if it's in front of the compost bin.



Color ...

B&W ... I think I like color better.
Molly--that tree "that grows up the side of your house"? It's an espalier ("ess-spah-YAY").  It's a method of growing trees (usually) to produce the most amount of fruit possible.  There were a ton of apples here--two weeks later, all of them had been harvested.

This Monday, I went back to Longwood with my mom.  Autumn comes and goes so fast--so much had already changed:

Love how everything is green up front and orange way in the background.






Mums are easily among my least favorite flower, but architecturally I guess they can be interesting.

Bleh--annoyed that this blurred.




Ugh--this blurred too.  I like colors on the top and bottom of the petals, though.

I look for this olive to return to its spot at the center of the Idea Garden every spring--I'm a little surprised they haven't put it away yet.  I can't imagine how old this is--olives grow so slowly.




I'm hoping all the color sticks around for a shoot I'm doing this weekend--I don't think it's supposed to be very windy between now and Sunday.

I can't decide which goes faster: Seeing everything wake up for summer or fall back asleep for winter?

2 comments:

Laurie said...

My favorite is the one of the lake with all the colors reflected in it!

Jo Harper said...

That's my favorite too!