Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Closet cork board

Since I've been really little, I've hoarded images in folders and shoe boxes.  If I see something I really like in a magazine, I'll rip it out and set it aside.  When I was younger, the images would reappear on a French memo board on my bedroom door, or sometimes I would use the photos for cards or other small projects.  Like all things tangible, images take up space and they easily get disorganized or damaged if you're careless with them.

I know what you're thinking: "That's why we have Pinterest.  Duh. God bless Pinterest!"

I don't know what my problem is, but I've been signed up for Pinterest for at least two years--maybe three--and I never, ever use it.  Never.  I have no idea why.  I think it has to do with an aversion to screens: I have the luxury of not having to work full time, so the idea of spending one extra minute staring at a screen--even for something fun--just sounds exhausting rather than fun.  I know by the time you've scrolled to the bottom of this post, you're gonna be like, "Girl, just use Pinterest. Please. Do yourself and the world a favor."  We'll see. I don't hate it or anything--maybe I'm frustrated because I'm too lazy to figure out how to get the same (completely random) images I see in magazines (I read a lot of magazines) onto a Pinterest board.  I don't feel like finding other images: I want the ones I just ripped out from this or that magazine.

Anyway, here's what I did this summer:

The lighting is awful, I know.

I had ripped out a bunch of stuff from some magazines and catalogues, but I had no idea what I was going to do with them.  So, I slapped up four adhesive cork board squares on the inside of my closet door. The images were too pretty to throw away--I had to find a place for them.

Clockwise from top left: turquoise vintage car in Sonoma, California; Tiffany ad featuring jewelry from this year's The Great Gatsby (I want that headband so bad I could weep); Jaclyn Smith--how gorgeous are her ankles? to die for.

I'm indifferent to Carrie Underwood, but how amazing is this photo of her in rosy pink sparkly separates? I KNOW I could do that with my hair, but haven't taken the time to figure it out; I could wear that pale blue dress every day of the summer; that rosy skirt has bird appliques on it--I know; literally saw a girl in West Chester walk down the street in that striped skirt ensemble--made me do a double take; odds are I will never have pink hair, but how great does it look with a yellow sweater?

I tried on that pink dress on the right at Anthro--meh.

You have to love Zooey--I think that's an ad for Cotton (ie, "the fabric of our lives")?  I've hoarded that one for years; two anthro images--Leslie gave me a little pink jacket like the one in the middle image; I ripped out the girl on the beach from O Magazine in college ... 2003 or 2004.

Because I know I have trouble parting with things that don't really matter, the deal is that I have to throw away all of these when I switch them out for fall images.  Because I'm a sick person with a real problem, I already know that I'm not throwing away Carrie, Zooey, or White Bathing Suit.  It'll be tough throwing away Jaclyn, but I'm sure I'll survive.

Ok, so maybe I have to try Pinterest again? I like seeing things right in front of me though--why are all the best things in life becoming limited to screens?

No comments: