Saturday, August 31, 2013

Summer craft series: The blue moon baby turns one

Remember this? She's ONE.


I've been waiting for a baby to turn one so I could try out this poncho pattern.  It's pretty much the same pattern as the baby blankets I've been making (like this one and this one), but it's altered to accommodate (duh) one's head.

For every other project I've done, the pattern has called for a worsted weight yarn noted by the number 4.  This called for a bulky weight ("5") and a bigger needle (I used a K), so I picked out something from Lion Brand's Homespun yarn which is sorta ridgy and chunky.  (I used a color called "Quartz.") I wasn't sure if this would be really difficult to deal with, but it worked out pretty well--it was difficult to see my stitches at some points, but once I had a consistent gauge it wasn't a big problem.

* This post isn't sponsored by Lion Brand, but maybe it should be.  Feel free to send me a check anytime, Lion Brand! *

The only issue I had was the neck.  In this pattern, you have your foundation chain and then you work your way down to the bottom of the poncho. (It took me 14 rounds--not 12--to reach a length of 12 inches.)  You cut your yarn and then move to your foundation chain and then work up to do four rows around for the neck.  The first time I finished the neck, it looked like this:


Yeah, Jeff makes jokes all the times about how his head doesn't fit into hats, but I doubt his biological daughter requires a nine inch wide space for her head.  So I ripped out the neck and tried it again.  I ignored the instructions to increase on the first round--I did fewer stitches than required and it came out right.

Done and done ... but she'll need some pants.

I found long sleeve Ts in navy and white to go with the finished product, but I got totally lost when it came to pants.  I wanted to buy jeans to finish the outfit, but the 12-18 month jeans looked HUGE and the 9-12 month jeans looked too small.  Honestly, it was more overwhelming than buying jeans for me, so I gave up.


I wasn't so sure about the color at first, but in the end I like it.  It washes and dries really beautifully, so that's a help. (* ahem * LION BRAND.  Call me! Seriously!)
I turned Lil's adorable invites into the card ...

... and put a picture of last year's 8/31 blue moon on the back.  I used another illustration (by Becky Kelly) on the care instructions card.


Lil's Aunt Michelle is having another baby in October.


Steph asked for a shot with all the new moms and their first babies, but I missed it.

I couldn't fight my way through the media frenzy to get a decent angle.
Lil's grandfather is, like, The Best Sport Ever. nuff said.



I know: Eating cake IS exhausting, but if you and I don't do it, who will?
The "NOT the smash cake" cake
Jess and Reese--gotta love a new mom in hot pants and wedge heels.  Yup, she's still got it!

Lauren and Kane's Abigail

"Hey girl, you wanna know something?"

"I know girls at daycare who fall asleep crying at night because they WISH their hair could do this."

Sorry, Jeff: You blinked.


Happy Birthday, little Lil!  Your parents were truly the happiest people on earth today--you're so lucky you wound up with them.

No comments: