Thursday, August 1, 2013

Banana smoothie

I figured out last summer that I love a banana smoothie, and I've probably had nearly one every day this  July.  I can't eat a whole banana ... I can barely eat a bite of banana, the combo of texture/flavor grosses me out so bad.  But, I don't mind them at all if they're pureed.  These are really easy and very low-cal (only the banana has sugar in my version).  Here's what I do:

I add a scoop of ice ... not sure how much. I'm thinking slightly less than a cup.

1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk--the sweetened/vanilla version has a ton of empty calories and I think it would make the final product undrinkable.  You can use regular dairy milk if you like, but I prefer almond for this.

A spoonful of unsweetened cocoa powder. Also really low-cal and nearly no fat.  Read the label--it's crazy!  You can also add a scoop of peanut butter if you want some extra protein, but this time I'm skipping it.

A whole banana--I don't freeze mine or it would break my blender. If you break it into pieces and then freeze it, you could get away with using less ice.  I used to do it that way, but it was a lot of extra work.

Blend it up--no lumps!


It tastes like dessert, I swear.

2 comments:

Jess said...

Cute salt and pepper shakers ;)

Jo Harper said...

I know, right? ; )