Friday, February 22, 2013

Two things worth trying

I saw these "two ingredient cookies" on Cup of Jo the other week, and I thought, "hmmm ... why not?"  Here is a pretty convincing argument for these cookies by the original authors of the recipe: "Sometimes we’ll make 16 'cookies.' And we’ll eat them all for lunch. I know what you’re thinking… WOW you’re gonna be 500 pounds if you keep eating 8 cookies. But think about what went in these cookies! If I ate 8 cookies, I’ve had: 1 banana, 1/2 cup of oats, and half a handful of chocolate chips and walnuts. Amazing. Leave out the chocolate chips and they are all health."

Do you need to be convinced even more?

They were incredibly easy to make and they're really, really good ... especially for breakfast.  I chose to mix in chocolate chips, some sweetened and unsweetened coconut, and cinnamon.

  
Next, another recipe that I have made before but forgot existed in my arsenal.  One of the foods I throw away most frequently is ricotta cheese.  I usually buy a 15 oz. container of it, use 1/2 to 1/3 cup of it for a random recipe, forget about the remaining (nearly full container) left over, and then throw it away a week later.  Wednesday night, I made this dessert from Everyday Food:

Crappy photo but it'll have to do.
Basically, it's coffee flavored cannoli filling.  This is ALSO really good for breakfast.  If you've used part of the container of ricotta, then make sure you adjust the sugar accordingly or it could be too sweet.  I wouldn't adjust the espresso powder, though, because the more coffee-er/the better in my opinion.

That's all.

I might make more of those cookies over the weekend. 

No comments: