Friday, December 14, 2012

Longwood lights: outdoors

I wanted to do outdoor and indoor pictures at Longwood the other night, so I showed up about 45 minutes before they were supposed to close.  The place was in the midst of emptying for the night, so I didn't feel like I was in the way of major crowds while trying to take these with a tripod.  Of course, it took less than ten minutes for my fingers to get so cold that it made me absolutely nauseous. (Am I the only person who feels seriously sick when her fingers and toes freeze up?)  Complete lack of feeling in my hands also made it really hard to hit the buttons on the camera.  The conservatory was pretty much empty once I was done taking these, so I headed inside for my shots ... and my lens fogged up really badly from the warmth, time ran out, and I had to leave.  Next week I'll have to figure out a way to keep my camera warm and walk right from the car to the conservatory. 

f/4.5 and 2 sec; ISO 400

f/4.5 and 1 sec, ISO 400

f/8, 2 sec; ISO 400

f/8 and .77sec; ISO 400 or 800 (I forget)

f/13 and 10 sec; ISO 800--see the difference between the 0.77sec shutter and the 10 sec shutter?

f/5 and 1 sec; ISO 800

f/5.3 and .77 sec; ISO 800

f/5 and 2.5 sec; ISO 800--those LED lights give the weirdest glow
It's sort of dumb to take pictures of this stuff because even the best pictures taken by the best photographers fail to capture the gorgeousness of the lights.  Really, you should go and capture it with your mind's eye.  But, every year (just like everyone else) I think to myself, "Well, I'll just take a few ..."

I'll try the indoor shots next week and post them later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just adore Longwood - it is such a treat year round. Some people seek therapy but I just walk around those beautiful gardens and feel renewed.