Saturday, November 24, 2012

Scenes from the holiday



I completely appreciate that this family went all out with the Thanksgiving decor.  Most people in town decorate for Halloween and Christmas, and Thanksgiving is usually totally forgotten.

Sweet potato biscuits

Martha Stewart chocolate bars: print out the template and wrap around a Hershey bar.
My mom also made these adorable Hershey kiss acorns, but I don't have a picture of them.  You can see how to do them here.

My mom's Thanksgiving table.  The felt leaves were a pack of thirty for $3 ($3!) at Target.  Yes, they came with the veins printed on them.

Ina's apple crostata

This angle makes it look like everything is going to slide right off the tabletop.  My mom continues the family tradition of serving stuff from the past holiday (jack o'lantern chocolates) on the current holiday.  It's typical for us to use Easter napkins on 4th of July.

I used the pumpkin pie recipe from the back of the can.




I asked my mom if we could open some champagne, and she was fine with that until she saw my sister pouring a glass for my grandmother.  My mom was seriously like, "MOM! NO! YOU CAN'T HAVE ANY OF THAT!!"  I said, "Will it interfere with a medication or something?"  (My grandmother never takes meds, so I was totally confused.) My mom didn't answer me, but gave my grandmother this look that I RARELY ever see ... something like, "Don't you DARE.  DO YOU REMEMBER THAT TIME WHEN ...?????"  And my grandmother took a gulp of the stuff in response.  Apparently, my grandmother (who hardly eats or drinks anything) has quite a history with champagne.  I think she had three glasses on Thursday. How hilarious is that?

So bring on Christmas. Here we go.

No comments: