Friday, June 1, 2012

Joan's bunnies stay over

My friend Joan is changing jobs, and part of changing jobs is changing apartments ... at least this is the case when your new job is across the country.  Joan as you know has 2.5 dogs: Mulligan, Paloma, and London.  I say 2.5 because Joan has committed herself to rehabbing London and finding him a forever home with somebody else.  So, he's her baby right now, but she's preparing herself to turn him over to someone else in the future.

It should be mentioned that Joan has started a blog about London. You can find it here.  Joan will totally blow your mind because she has proven, definitively, that she's the most patient person on the planet. Period.  Not many people would dedicate themselves to an abandoned creature like London the way that she has.  If you think that an abused and/or traumatized animal cannot be rehabbed (especially *GASP* a PITBULL!!!), then read Joan's blog and prepare to eat your hat.  Her blog teaches three things (this is what I have learned anyway): 1) "scary" animals usually only appear "scary" because they themselves are so scared and on-edge that they constantly act out in ways that appear threatening or weird to us; 2) "scary" animals can learn--with a tremendous input of time and energy on behalf of their human partners--to acclimate to the busy, loud, fast-paced (ie, "scary") world we live in; 3) the only way this transformation takes place is when a person commits him or herself to patiently walking through this process with the creature at hand.  Impatience or indifference won't help you cross the finish line together.  The only project that's harder is raising a toddler. I don't know any of this from experience, but when I synthesize all things I've heard Joan talk about and all the parenting stories I've heard from people who have (in my opinion) really well-behaved children, both processes sound similar sometimes.

I really don't know how to be eloquent about this in one paragraph--I would make more sense if I wrote pages and pages and REALLY collected my thoughts.  Just check out her progress and you'll see what I mean.

ANYWAY. Joan had to go apartment hunting far, far away, and the cushy kennel that's watching all of her dogs cannot also take her bunnies.  So Joan's bunnies, Luke and Fiona, are staying with me at my house.  I haven't had any new pets in the house since I brought Penny home right after Pearl had turned one.  I wasn't completely sure how they would react to bunnies ... I knew that they wouldn't hurt the bunnies, but I knew that they wouldn't be totally indifferent to them either.  Lucky for me, I was home when the Fluffs discovered the buns for the first time. Luke and Fiona had been in the basement all day, but the Fluffs had been asleep upstairs the whole time.  It was a pretty awkward introduction. (A word of caution: My unfinished basement is probably the ugliest thing you will see on this blog. Please excuse it!)

video

We're on Day 3, and the Fluffs absolutely refuse to go down there.  Every morning, they creep really low to the ground to the top of the basement steps, and then they just crouch there and listen.  The slightest sound sends them skittering in ten directions.  It's completely pathetic.

Overall, Penny is curious but mostly indifferent.  Pearl is just pissed.  She remembers the last time we brought home another furry creature, and that creature decided shack up with us permanently.  Do you see this face?


Pearl's not actually looking at anything.  She's making her eyes really big and rolling them around in her head, and she's rolling her head around and making her lion mane extra big and fluffy.  It's totally bizarre.  The last time I saw her do this, we had just brought Penny in the door.


Luke's on the left and Fiona's on the right

The buns eat carrots every morning, and the carrots stain their chests orange.


This is one thing that always surprises me about bunnies: They are incredibly affectionate.  Even though I know this, it always surprises me when I'm around them.  My sister had a bunny for about six years.  Many times, Leslie would sprawl out on the floor to do her homework with Li (Li = "lie" as in Linus), and Li would curl up as close to Leslie as she could get and doze off while Leslie worked.  Li stayed around for my first semester of grad school, and I read hundreds of pages sitting with Li in Leslie's room.  Luke and Fiona curl up and doze off together--they're the bestest friends in (I'll just say it) a really obvious and very human way.  Anybody who thinks, "Oh give me a break: it's a rabbit" or "Rabbits are gross: They're good-looking rodents" or "How smart could they be? Rabbits are dumb" or "Rabbits are lab animals for a reason" has no idea what he's talking about.  (And hanging around rabbits will make you rethink the ethics of animal testing.  At the very least, they'll make you question it.) They have personalities the same way dogs and cats do.  It's crazy cute and really hilarious.


Pearl just watches from the step.


Sometimes Penny joins her:

Penny's on the left
Scaredy cats. Don't worry: They won't be in momma's basement forever.

3 comments:

Linda C said...

Penny and Pearl are standing guard on the steps just to be sure those adorable bunnies don't come upstairs. They're not sharing their beds with anyone else!

Jo Harper said...

Even when they're upstairs, they constantly turn and look over their shoulders at ... nothing. I think they think that the buns will come bounding up the steps any second.

Joan Grassbaugh Forry said...

I love this so much! I promise I will bring the fluffs a thank you treat for putting up with the bunnies!