Monday, March 19, 2012

Irish potatoes

I know it's too late to advise you on this matter, but remember when I told you that I'm a huge, huge snob regarding cut-out cookies? Well, surprise surprise: I'm also a snob about other things, including but not limited to, Irish potatoes.

Listen: if you're gonna blow countless fat grams and calories on an Irish potato, then it better be a damn good Irish potato.  These are easy to make ... of course, once you see what's in them it may horrify you enough that you never eat them again.  Seriously though, if you eat frosting on a supermarket cake, then you're not too good for these.

I've always used a variation of my (Italian) aunt's recipe ... that being said, she recited the recipe for us at dinner the other night and her recitation did match up--at all--with the recipe she wrote down for me 12 or so years ago.  Go figure.

You'll need:
  • 8 oz cream cheese, room temp
  • 1 stick of butter, room temp
  • 1.5 tsp of vanilla
  • One box of 10x sugar
  • 8 oz of sweetened and shredded coconut
  • Cinnamon
 First, mix the butter and cream cheese:




Then add in your sifted 10x sugar:


Add your coconut (approximately half of the 14oz package you get at the store):


What you have at this point is a basic cream cheese frosting for something like a coconut cake.  Put the whole mixture in the fridge for about two hours.


Once the cream cheese mixture is chilled, it's easy to roll into balls and then roll into cinnamon.  You need to frequently rinse your hands with warm water, otherwise they get so sticky that you can't roll the stuff anymore.


In my snobbish opinion, these are worth the calories.  I wonder what Nigella would say about these? Maybe: "Gorgeous gobs of spicy, creamy goodness." Or, "Little bites of sweet, creamy loveliness."

I haven't made these in years, usually because whatever I've given up for Lent prevents my eating them.

But, I'll use any excuse to eat gobs of frosting without having to make a cake to go with it.

Another word of advice (not something I've learned from experience): Don't eat a lot of these and chase them all with green beer.  Gross.

2 comments:

katherine said...

I have never heard of Irish potatoes! I was initially concerned about how the potates would taste with the cream cheese, sugar, coconut and butter mixture but now it all makes sense!! :) sounds decadent!

Jo Harper said...

WHAT????!! I have two cousins who grew up in Dallas, and they had no idea that St. Patrick's Day, Irish potatoes, etc, even existed until one of them came up to visit many, many Marches ago. You're SURE you didn't see Irish potatoes at our very Catholic university??