Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Ina's granola

Three years ago, I made Ina's granola bars.  They tasted great ... but they all fell apart and quickly went from bars to, well, crumbled granola.  I haven't bothered trying to get it "right"--the fact is, this concoction tastes great and it doesn't matter whether or not you eat them in bar or crumbly form.

I make a few changes to this recipe: I skip the dates and use dried cherries, and I usually include 1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds in some form (this time, I used roasted ones in the shell).

Toast all of your oats, unsweetened coconut, sliced almonds, and seeds in the oven--I split everything between two trays covered in parchment.


Add in your wheat germ--don't skip this because it helps glue things together.  It's in the cereal aisle in between the cereal and the Pop Tarts, near the instant oatmeal packets.

Get your "glue" boiling over medium heat: this is honey, brown sugar, butter, and salt.


Pour the melted sugars over the oven toasted stuff and add your diced, dried fruits.  At this point, you have a choice: Follow Ina's instructions to create bars or do things my way. I spread everything out on the same two trays I used earlier with the same parchment.  These go in the oven for about 25 minutes.  After you pull them out, let them cool before breaking it all apart in chunks and storing in an air-tight container.  You'll be surprised how much this makes ... far more than the dinky, overpriced boxes that they sell at the store.


My favorite way to eat this stuff is to crumble it over vanilla Greek yogurt.  And (let's be honest), don't delude yourself here: there's no way this stuff is super healthy if you forget to eat it in small quantities. Seriously, if something tastes like a cookie, then it probably isn't much healthier than a cookie.  I love this stuff because the texture is so good. It's really, really chewy and crunchy at the same time. Love that.


Oh, Ina. What can  I say? You're a genius.

2 comments:

Linda C said...

It really is yummy granola. I prefer to eat it in large quantities.

Jo Harper said...

HA! Who doesn't love large quantities of the good stuff?!