Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Eggy muffins

I saw this recipe last week in the most recent issue of Better Homes and Gardens.  Typically, I don't care about breakfast recipes, but this one made me think because it appeared to be pretty convenient: Why not make a tray of these and use them as a week's worth of breakfasts and lunches?

Monday night, I made them for dinner.  I made a few small changes to the recipe: I used 1% milk and I substituted Canadian bacon (ie, "ham") for bacon-bacon.  Next time, I may skip the meat altogether and substitute a vegetable instead.  Also, I didn't "decorate" the muffin tops with a flourish of bacon as the recipe describes. I tore up all of my bacon and threw it in the batter, muffin decor be damned.


I wasn't really sure what to expect from the finished product, but let me tell you: They are REALLY good.  Honestly, I don't remember the last time I had an Egg McMuffin ... before my 10th birthday perhaps? (I haven't stepped inside a McDonald's in over a decade, so who really knows.)  But anyway, I tried one minutes after they came out of the oven and I immediately thought to myself, "OMG Egg McMuffin!"  It was so warm and fluffy and none of the flavors or textures competed with one another. I wish I had made potatoes to go with them.


I'm wondering if it's worth freezing and defrosting these?  I don't want to waste any in an attempt to find out.


Two of these + salad = you've got a meal.

Yes, Leslie: I saved a bunch for you! ; )

2 comments:

Laurie said...

They look good! You have been baking up a storm lately :)

P.S. I like your new "profile" pic!

Cat Lady, Esq. said...

OMG SO GOOD. Unfair that you gave mom and I FIVE to share. Splitting the last one this morning. Canadian bacon was good, but I would relish plain bacon. Like the vegetable idea too