Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Scenes from the holiday

What a great weekend.  Seven Fishes 2011 went off perfectly and we had a lot of people stop by after dinner for our annual open house.


I went with green and red for the Christmas table, rather than green and white (like I typically do).


Penny offered to help out in whatever way she could.  She loves nothing more than warming her belly on the dishwasher door after all of the clean dishes have been unloaded.  Like I said, big help.


I have zero recollection of this picture being taken--I'm guessing my mom or my sister took it.  It really bothers me that I don't remember that.  The Chef is busy at work in the background frying up calamari.


We used up a "roll of film" on the Fuji Instax.  Everybody hates how the flash washes them out--but that's the whole point.


Ron and I found ourselves turning off the front light and pulling out the extra leaf from the table by 11:30pm.  Typically, the house doesn't empty out until 12 or 1am, but I think it still managed to feel like a long day for all of those involved.  

We spent the next morning at my parents', opening gifts and enjoying breakfast.

 

After we came home from my parents', I experienced a Christmas miracle: I used my curling iron CORRECTLY for the first time EVER. Bonus miracle?  I slept on it, and the waves lasted 36 hours.  I'll never be able to duplicate that ever again. I've only been trying to master this since second grade. It was fun while it lasted.

PROOF. Because even I don't believe it.
Christmas dinner took place at Ron's parents' house.  The big talk this year was about the brand new "skinny" tree from Wegman's. I think it's cute.

 



I love all of the colors and textures on this table--it's really luxurious.

We enjoyed beef tenderloin, parmesan mashed potatoes, and green beans with walnuts and mushrooms.  I wish I had taken a picture of the desserts--of course, everyone was too full to partake.  We were home by 11pm, but I stayed up until 2am watching Home Alone and flipping through magazines.  ("Look what you did, you little jerk!" hahaha!)

The next morning, I was off and running to Erin's house for our annual Christmas lunch and pollyanna. Over the past five years, my friends and I have learned that--barring unexpected illness--this is the only day of the whole year where it's guaranteed that we'll all be in the same room together at the same time.  I hosted last year, so Erin took over this year.

Amalie and Erin

Look closely at our plates to see what Erin made: acorn squash stuffed with quinoa and chicken sausage.  It was amazing.  Ama baked pears stuffed with walnuts, crasins, and a sweet glaze for dessert. Another gorgeous course, but I don't have a picture.

Sarah and Megan (yes: they are twins)



We try to remember taking our annual photo before someone has to rush out the door for another party.  There have been years where there's only four of us because we didn't remember in time.  This year, we included what Erin affectionately calls her "Crazy Baby Tree."  It's a long story, but there was no time for a real tree due to an abscessed tooth and some really bad allergies.

So that's it for now.  For three years now, Ron and I typically watch the Band of Brothers marathon that airs every year on the 26th. I missed most of it this year (tuning it at the Bastogne like I always do--I keep missing the first two-thirds when it comes on). Coming up, we have a big 60th bday party for my mother-in-law and, of course, New Year's Eve with Erin and Tom and possibly Megan and her new beau, Tyler.

I'll have to put together a post with all of the gorgeous, lovely things that friends and family gave to me for Christmas. Nothing beats cashmere this-and-that with Clinique chubby sticks and Anthro earrings ; )

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Looks like you had a great Christmas! Sorry we missed the party this year!