Sunday, October 23, 2011

Weekend inspiration

I'm very aware of the huge pile of bluebooks and papers stuffed in my school bag.  BUT, I successfully managed to procrastinate further on grading them this weekend. (Seriously, that's why we have weekdays.) Instead, I spent a lot time taking in things that have nothing to do with metaphysics essay questions.


I love this glass display at the Anthro near my school.



Pulled over to photograph these trees on my way home from school on Friday.  This used to be somebody's driveway.  Now it just leads to a golf course (because we need more of those).


The fountains are officially turned off at Longwood.  


The idea garden has been ripped out and replanted with spring bulbs.  Except for snow, there won't be anything here until mid-April.


Thousands of white tulip bulbs are sleeping under here ...



I can't decide if these black pumpkins are spooky ... or moldy-looking.


"I'm sorry: but I just don't like those warty things." --Mom


Slug or snake? You decide.  (I vote slug.)




Even the parking lot is pretty.


The drive home.
(I wasn't driving.)


*sigh* I miss you Simon Pearce.  I totally would've hung out at your bar Friday night.  If you still existed.


I've been locking out the Fluffs at night lately because our bed is too small for two adults and two average-sized Fluffs. Last night, I caved.  I guess it was worth it ... for them.


Beautiful afternoon for Terrain.  It's a little schizo there right now because they have a big Christmas display along with all of the gorgeous fall stuff.

I see you momma!
Love this lantern display--I hope they never take it down. (It's not like anyone can afford it, so there's no excuse.)  My mom and I love to play "Guess How Much This Is??!!" at Terrain. It usually goes something like this:

"Guess how much this bar of soap is?"
"ummmm, $8?"
"No."
"$10?"
"No."
"I give up."
"EIGHTEEN DOLLARS!!!"
[in unison]
"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!"

This weekend's winner?  A $248 tote bag made out of a "vintage" (I'm assuming--it was old-looking) grain bag.  Wow.  Well, it WAS made in France so I guess that justifies the price.

(HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!! A $248 "vintage" grain bag TOTE!! HAHAHAHA! If you can't laugh at that, you must be dead.)


Let's play another round of GHMTI? Guess how much the SMALLEST pumpkin on this table is?

$10? No.

$15? No.

It's $26.50!!!

Say it with me: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Ok, in all fairness: My mom and I are obsessed with these things.  I bought her one for her birthday last year (the dusty orange color) and we dried a bunch of jack-be-little stems so that we could make our own this year.  We really need to get around to that before it's Valentine's Day.  If if I had a ton of money, I would buy a whole basket of these and not think twice about it.  BUT as long as I'm an adjunct prof, I will laugh hysterically every time I flip over one of their adorable little price tags ...

My iPhone could NOT focus on the olives to save its little life. Do you see them?
This gorgeous olive topiary with a beautiful twisted trunk gave my mom and me great hope because it actually has olives on it!  We both have olive trees from Terrain (they are really small and mom's looks a lot better than mine), but didn't actually believe that they could ever REALLY grow an ACTUAL olive.  Maybe one day ...


Just like California: warm enough--and yet cool enough--to eat outside.  The fire pit made the air smell like crisp leaves.

A gorgeous weekend. I cannot believe next weekend is Halloween.

I have the big cabinet reveal this week! I just need to clean up the damn kitchen before I take pictures of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me just tell you I know exactly what tote you're talking about. I did the same thing....I thought to myself really? REALLY? I'm waiting for a major sale:) Employee Appreciation in about 3 weeks! YAY!

Anonymous said...

Let me just tell you I know exactly what tote you're talking about. I did the same thing....I thought to myself really? REALLY? I'm waiting for a major sale:) Employee Appreciation in about 3 weeks! YAY!

THIIS IS JESS!