Monday, October 17, 2011

Sweet potato biscuits & Laurie's bun in the oven

I'll do the more boring stuff first.

I've never made biscuits before, but I gave them a try for the first time on Saturday night.  Grilling season is nearly over, so while Ron prepped a steak and put some rosemary potatoes in the oven, I got to work on the biscuits.

My inspiration for the biscuits came from here and the recipe itself came from here.  I haven't really worked with breads in general, but it didn't take me long to realize that these would be pretty easy.  The one part that was tricky was smashing the potatoes.  Ron just pushed them through the ricer for me, and I can't help but think I would've struggled with that part on  my own.  I guess if I make these by myself next time I'll just put the potatoes and 1/4 c. of milk in a blender and see what happens.


The recipe suggests using a 2" round cookie cutter or glass to cut the biscuits, but I really wanted hearts so they were double the size. Rather than bake them for 12 minutes, I baked them for 18.


To say that I was happy with them is a big understatement.  They were GOOD.  Really good.  You know why?  Because of all the budd-ah.  I love butter.  They were subtly sweet--not sweet like a pastry.  And the 1/4 tsp. of cayenne adds the nicest hint of I-don't-know-what.

I will def be making these again.


We haven't really cooked anything decent in awhile. Who knows when we'll do something like this again.

Unrelated side note:  If any of you ladies need some ho-ed up Halloween costume, I found one for you.


The unzipped fly is a nice touch.  And you can get this for your man:
"Pittsburgh? That city sucks!"  No, it does NOT. But I don't really follow hockey, so maybe in that respect it does.

And now, the grande finale of the weekend: my first ever pregnancy portrait session with one of my bestest friends, Laurie.


Four years ago, Laurie asked me to do her engagement photos for her and her fiance, Nick.  We picked Sunday, June 17, 2007 to do the photos ... which coincidentally became the day that Ron proposed to me.  I met up with Laurie and Nick literally four hours after the proposal--I had only told my parents about the engagement.  I barely opened the front door after hearing the bell, and Laurie gasps and goes, "OH MY GOD. What are you wearing on your hand??"  It was just a funny, weird, happy day as I snapped over 300 (God help us) pictures of Laurie and Nick two months before their wedding and a year before my own.

So Laurie's big joke yesterday was, "Hey, if you got engaged the same day as our engagement photos, does that make you nervous about doing my pregnancy photos? "  HAHAHA!!


Laurie said, "I don't care if everyone online thinks this photo is a cliche. I want to do it!"  I think it's cute.

We took all of the photos at her parents' house.  They have a gorgeous sun-room on the back of their house, and the late afternoon lighting was just perfect inside and out.  Of course, I forgot my tripod (it was just dim enough to need one), but thankfully Laurie's brother was there and knew where he could find his dad's.


Luckily, I know these guys well enough that we can all relax after a few minutes of picture-taking.  Nick's a good sport.  When I'm not giving him orders, Laurie is--he just does whatever we ask him to do.  This time, we "only" took 80-something photos which I managed to cut down to 67 once I could go through them on the computer.


At one point, I accidentally set up the shot with the unintended effect of giving Nick a huge green 'fro.  (See the Boston fern in the background?) Yeah, I ended up not using most of those.  Oops.


Laurie mentioned that she's hoping to use one of yesterday's shots for her Christmas card.  "But the baby is probably coming around December 20th.  Aren't you going to use a baby shot?"  But Laurie pointed out that it would be unwise (or downright crazy) to put together Christmas cards after the baby is here while Christmas is going on.  When she mails her cards out in seven weeks, she'll still be pregnant.  In fact, she is convinced that she is going to be one or two weeks late.  Maybe her baby will be a 2012 baby?


I brought my Fuji Instax with me so that they could take home a consolation prize.  All of the good photos were coming home with me. I edited through their pictures pretty quickly this morning, so Laurie can go through all of them later this week.  But in the meantime, they have one shot ready to go.

Thank you so much for letting me do your pictures, Laurie!  Has it really been four and half years since your engagement pictures??  Remember when we sat on the gym bleachers in our big, ugly, red gym shirts, cramming for our English vocab tests in between speculations of what we would be like when we had our first babies?  It took thirteen years, but one of us is there!  I cannot wait to meet your little girl ; )

2 comments:

Laurie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Laurie said...

Thank YOU so much for taking our pictures!! We love them :) I cannot believe that it has been 13 years. Time flies. We are counting down the days until our baby girl arrives (and hopefully it's not on Christmas!)!