Thursday, September 8, 2011

Peach cupcakes and a new camera

I dug through my gmail and took special care to sort through all the emails my mom sent me during the last two weeks of August 2010.  (According to my gmail account--which I've only had since 2007--I have exchanged "thousands" of emails with my mom. On the one hand, I was surprised to find out there have been so many. On the other hand, I thought to myself, "You're sure it's not millions?")

After 90 seconds of sorting, I found the recipe for the peach cupcakes.  My memory was pretty accurate: the body of the email simply said, "You should make these for me, your mother."  You can find the recipe (and a much better photo of the finished product) here.  You should know that I added 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon to the dry ingredients in addition to the nutmeg, and I also made it a point to squeeze out as much liquid as possible from the sliced and diced peaches.

In the meantime, I've been waiting to use one of my birthday gifts and have only just tried it today.  I received the Fujifilm Instax Mini camera a week ago, but it didn't come with any film so I had to order it after the fact. (Oddly, the camera DID come with all necessary batteries ... how bizarrely convenient is that?)

(It also came with a manual entirely written in Japanese.  Not as helpful.)

Image via here

Basically, this is a 21st century Polaroid.  I actually still have a Polaroid camera from 5th grade, but I couldn't afford the film when I was little so I used one film pack in it ... and never used it again.  Apparently, they do still sell Polaroid film at Target, so I intend to check that out this weekend.

The film for the Instax Mini arrived today, so I gave the camera a try (only twice! I am the ultimate Scrooge when it comes to film).  I was so angry because I totally botched the first shot.  Each "roll" only has ten shots, and each shot costs approximately $1.  I took one more while Ron was making dinner.


The pizza in the inset photo looks like it existed thirty years ago, but it's really just the same pizza in the background. (Sorry if it sounds like I'm insulting your intelligence there. Just wanted to be clear.)


Not really sure why I leaned it against a measuring spoon here, but it gives a sense of proportion.  The Instax photos are only the size of a credit card.

I'll bring it my friend Jess's house tomorrow night and see if I get anything good with it.  The hard part of using a camera that only creates hardcopies?  You have to get creative in order to upload them!  Instax camera + a blog = crazy mishmash of 20th and 21st century technology. It's strange.

Happy Birthday Jess!

2 comments:

Linda C said...

Yay... I'm so happy the camera works! Remember when you actually had to think twice before you took a photographer? Now you can simply delete the bad shots. I love technology but there is something very interesting about non-digital, non-photoshop photos.

Jess Ryan said...

Thanks Heather! I had such a great time, although I thoroughly regret falling asleep and missing out on the awesome picture with the "funny" effects ;) thanks for giving us some priceless pics to cherish!