Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Life between weekends

The weekend was jam packed. First, a preview:



The glass is speckled, hence the weird shadow pattern from the flash.

Ron has been working on new kitchen cabinets for the past 18 months. I don't really remember how we even came to discuss replacing them, but it probably had something to do with me freaking out about the lost space above the cabinets: "Why can't the cabinets go all the way up to the ceiling??" To my shock, Ron replied, "Who said they can't?" He made plans for new cabinets, but it took a long time to execute the them since--like a normal person--Ron works full time.

The new cabinets are up, but there are some final details that need to be completed before I bother to post photos of them. I'm hoping they'll be finished-finished in two weeks.

Also, I'm completely aware that my basement is a trainwreck. Yes, I noticed.

While Ron and his dad hung the cabinets, I toured the 2011 West Chester "Festival of Gardens" with my sister and my mom. This is the third year we've made it a point to go. The tour gives you access to some of the most gorgeous yards in the West Chester borough. Fourteen houses participated this year, and I have pictures of my favorites here:



You should be able to click on the photo above and see the web album from the garden tour--let me know if it doesn't work.

Finally on Sunday, we met Mark and Dina's new baby, Emedio (or Sonny, as he's called around the house).  He's three months old on Wednesday.  Mark made the most incredible salmon with leeks in a white-wine butter reduction, fried polenta, and swiss chard (from the backyard) with garlic and bacon.


Ron was really relaxed with the baby, but every time I raised the camera to my face, he (Ron) would tense up and I would totally lose the shot I wanted.

Meanwhile, could Ron get more relaxed here?

The boy wants a puppy so bad, I could just weep for him.

No, wait: It gets better.


I took this from across the room--he didn't even realize that he was being photographed. Anyway.  Don't know what his deal is when being photographed with the baby.


We saw Charlie--the puppy in the previous photo--at his parents' house on Friday.  It was Jess's birthday, and Matt was showing off the new bar he built in his basement.  Of course, I didn't realize that I basically cut the bar out of the photo.  But it was beautifully finished.



Who am I kidding? I'm sorry--I can't sign off without including this:


There's at least three things wrong with this picture.  What can I say? This is who we are.  I think I like it this way.

2 comments:

Erin S said...

I can't wait to see your new kitchen cabinets. I am so impressed that Ron built them! And I have to comment that Charlie is one of the cutest puppies I have ever seen.

Jess said...

Thanks Erin! We are proud parents! Matt and I adore that picture with him and Ron! And I must totally agree with Erin, those cabinets are quite impressive. In fact, I showed them to Matt just in case he felt like getting inspired.