Friday, August 5, 2011

Final swingin Thursday of the year

Ok, technically it's not the FINAL Swingin Thursday of the summer. There's still one more in September.  But that one will fall on a school night for me, so I don't really count it (even though I'll probably be there).



Ron and I went into town and walked around a little bit, but I was so hungry--so insanely starving--that I just wanted to eat.  And I didn't want a soft pretzel or something wimpy like that.  So we walked down Gay Street, away from all of the action, and found that the outdoor tables at Nonna's weren't packed yet. It was a very good choice: Ron had a summer salad with strawberries, and I had the grilled calamari over field greens. I had the best pasta fagiole for dinner and Ron had vegetable ravioli in a pesto sauce.  My soup was so good because of the broth: it was tomato based and creamy, but not milky creamy.  I don't know how they do it ... maybe they puree the tomatoes to get that consistency? I don't know, but it was very stew-like with cannellini beans and torn rigatoni.  It was exactly what I wanted. Don't you love it when that happens?


After dinner, we took a walk from the center of town down to Everhart Park and back.  There are so many beautiful houses in West Chester: big, small, tall and skinny, short and squat.  The streets in the neighborhoods were so quiet, and most people had dim lights on in their houses with just sheer curtains shielding the inhabitants from those (us) on the sidewalk.  And everyone had lazy ceiling fans idly rotating in their family rooms. Yes, I shamelessly glanced in every window I could--hey, if you're going to have your windows wide open on street level, then why can't I look?  I swear I'm not staring.

Anyway, it was a nice walk.

Ron had a nostalgic moment looking in the window at Page's.  Apparently, his dad used to buy these sodas at some local beverage place when Ron was a kid.  And, this place always gave kids in the store pretzel rods, or something like that?


I'm not sure if I would drink the sodas in this window, but the bottles and the crate are sorta cute.

I know the next Swingin Thursday is going to get here too quickly ...

No comments: