Friday, July 22, 2011

Ambivalence about gazpacho


I saw this recipe in a recent issue of O, and it looked really good in the pictures.  It's been so freakin hot here for so many days on end that the idea of eating warm, let alone room temperature, food just seems foolish.  Now that I think about it, I don't remember when I last used any of the burners on my stove.

This was pretty easy to do, but it would be difficult without a food processor.  It also takes a lot of time to chop everything and getting it all together.  And you have to put in extra effort to avoid getting everything in your kitchen covered in melon juice.  But altogether it was easy.

I think I may replace half of the mint with basil next time--my peppermint is REALLY strong this year, and it was a little overkill in some bites.  I also did the shrimp skewers, but I TOTALLY overcooked them. I didn't care that much, but if Ron had been here he would've died, it was SO overdone.  You have to be careful because the shrimp marinate in lime juice and spices for ten minutes before cooking.  The acid in the lime juice cooks the shrimp (a la' ceviche) and then you're only supposed to grill the shrimp for four minutes total.  My grill (aka, my large electric griddle) was on a high heat setting and something tells me it should've been lower.  Oh well--Leslie and I still ate them, and our standards aren't that high (and we prefer food that's overcooked rather than undercooked).  If you're looking for a new way to eat your veggies, here you go!

That being said, I still don't know how I feel about cold soup.  Soup is my most favorite food in the world (not including dessert or stuff with frosting on it), but all of my favorite soups are hot.  I really like vegetables, but I always have to recalibrate my ... I don't know: tastebuds? expectations? ... when it comes to eating a cold vegetable stew. I don't dislike it, but I'm always disappointed when I don't love it.  And I haven't loved it yet, but in this weather what else is there to eat?  So I'm pretty sure I'll finish what's left, but I don't know if I'll be making batches of this on a weekly basis.

2 comments:

Linda C said...

Sorry...soup needs to be hot and salty, not cold and sweet.

Jo Harper said...

This actually wasn't too sweet! I would actually say it was more savory than sweet.